Monday, September 5, 2011

Things Are Just Crazy Today

This is my work on Gayle's block for the "Lucious Lace RR" on CQI. At the top I tried some raised cup stitches that I hoped would look sort of like morning glories but I'm not convinced they do. Bottom right are motifs cut from lace that I buttonhole stitched around and added beads for center. In the middle are some silk ribbon french knots and lazy daisy leaves, gathered organdy ribbon flower  and  butterfly I tatted (that's the only thing I know how to tat).

This is my work on Ruby's block for a "Sew It Up" RR. I added what I hope looks like some cross stitch in a hoop on the left. There is a ring underneath the aida cloth and I couched some brown thread around it to make it stand out.  The bottom right is a gathered flower made from a selvage edge of some 30s reproduction fabric. I made some teeny-tiny four patches to go under the sewing machine button.  And at top I made a faux buttonhole that is definitely too small for that button!

For this RR we all decided to stitch as a group on one block. This is the part I did. I made a "pincushion" out of felt and added sulky silver thread pins with bead heads to stick in it. I wish I would have thought to put a little stuffing under it to make it puff up a bit...maybe on the next one. Then I did a herringbone stitch with french knots (to cover my pencil marks) and put buttons in some spaces.

And this is the group block after Carol and me. Hey, I just noticed that I accidentally made a pattern when I stitched on the buttons alternating four holes with two holes. What are the odds of that? I just grabbed some buttons and stitched them on. Weird...

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Both blocks are Awesome! I really wanted to join the sewing rr, I wish I had now! Great Love the ideas you've come up with.