Saturday, October 1, 2011

Feeling Crumby

I had (and still have) a lot of novelty fabric "crumbs" - pieces I refuse to throw away - ends from cutting for I spy swaps, pieces left from other quilts.

Grandma taught me about quilting and about "waste not, want not". So, I decided a box of crumbs had to move out of my sewing room and into "I Spy" crumb quilts to give as Christmas gifts ...

...for some grandparents like my brother and wife who live in TN and have three grandkids under the age of four...

...and for my sister and husband who have 4 grandchildren (or is it more now?) and I think 2 are under the age of 4...

...and one is for my grandson, Jacob, who is 2 1/2 and loves challenges. We will start with find a "watermelon" and advance to "find a fruit", "find something to eat", find something you would use in a game", find something that rhymes with fat"...

With these quilts I really have wasted not so I should not be wanting for quite a while. Front was made of crumbs, I sewed together pieces of batting (also hogging up room) to fit the quilts and used thrift store flannel sheets for the backing. Binding was also old fabric and so I guess the only thing new was the thread.

I spy some fun and games between generations coming soon!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

What a great idea! I am saving up scraps to make an I spy quilt for my granddaughter......yours are very lovely....

Viv and Eddie said...

What a fabulous idea and what a superb job you did with the quilts. I love the photo of the quilts hanging on the line in the garden.

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

What a great idea Cathy! I too have trouble throwing out even tiny pieces of fabric so I'm filing this idea away for later. Thank you!

Cathy said...

I love these quilts you have done! You never cease to amaze me with the amount of work you accomplish. I want to be YOU when I grow up. Hugs, Cathy K