Friday, June 1, 2012

Fool's Goldwork


I'm in a Fool's Gold RR over on the Crazy Quilting International Yahoo Group. The purpose of this RR is to use faux gold threads and trims with goldwork techniques instead of the more expensive gold threads. Each member of the RR stitches together 6 - 6 inch blocks to send around to each member to embellish one. 

Kerry had some lovely wedding dresses on her block and wanted romantic theme. I started on the block by adding lace and stitching to each seam. What's more romantic than lace? 




Roses might be just as romantic as lace so I added a couple. I first cut felt and then covered it with silk on one and organdy on the other. Then I stab stitched them to the block and added stitching first with backstitch then I wrapped the backstitches with perle 5 gold threads. The outside of the roses are couched with flat gold trim.  Next I laid down a couple of different trims to simulate some foliage and added beads. I also added a few leaves. Then I added some feather stitch of variegated pale pink and white perle and added bullions wrapped in gold thread. The leaves were done in 2 strands of DMC and 1 strand of gold DMC antique effects. I really like to add DMC to all the antique effects threads. More beads and gold trimmed ribbon with french knots finished it off. 


The end. 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Pretty block Cathy, I always enjoy seeing your work.