Sunday, March 30, 2014

Hand Quilting Izzy's Wedding Quilt


Last weekend in between playing games with the grandkids and each evening after work I did some hand- quilting on a Double Wedding Ring quilt I made for my granddaughter's hope chest.  I finished all the four square patches with some hearts. 

Sorry for the lousy blurry pic today. My hands are a little stiff this afternoon. 

And now I'm working on the center sections.   I thought I was being a little ambitious with this stencil since this quilt is my first attempt at hand quilting so saved the center sections for last. 


I decided to mark the quilt with chalk. I was a little nervous about using any of the newer products for marking since this quilt will be stored away until my granddaughter gets married. She's only 9 years old now.   

I have two center sections finished and hope to finish off more tonight not that the grandkids went home. 

 The grandkids were here again this weekend and they sure love to play games. My 5 year old grandson feels left out when the two nine year old girls go off to play dolls so he helped me organize the pins in my pincushion by color and sorted through the buttons in my button tin and put his favorite buttons in a baggie. 

And, yes, I do notice that there is a mismatched piece in the arch on the left. Don't know how that happened but that's the way it is and the way it will stay. 


This is how the quilt top looked before I did any quilting. I want to get it finished before the summer months. I hand stitch on smaller projects in the summer since I don't have air-conditioning. A bit quilt on the lap in mid summer is not good. 

Are you doing some hand-stitching? Join the party at Kathy's Quilts - Slow Sunday Stitching. 

5 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I just love this quilt. I hope my pickle dish turns out this great. I didn't notice the mismatched piece on the left, so I say don't worry about it. What a lucky granddaughter to have such a wonderful grandmother to make this for her.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Very pretty quilt. Bright and colorful and an attractive pattern. If I quilt in summer, I use a PVC quilt frame so it is not on my lap. Five year olds just want to play. You are a wise grandmother. Stitching will always wait.

Quilter Kathy said...

An amazing quilt! You are so smart to think ahead and have quilts ready for special occasions! Love that stencil! Enjoy!

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

It is so lovely !: )