Sunday, April 13, 2014

I Can See the Finish Line!

I've been hand quilting a  Double Wedding Ring for my granddaughter, Isabelle, who is only 9. After her paternal grandmother died two years ago Isabelle told me I would at least live until her wedding.  I decided to make a quilt for her hope chest so I could be there in spirit if not in body. 

This has been my first attempt at hand quilting with quilting thread.    Within the last couple of weeks I finished quilting the center of the rings. I used a stencil and marked with blue tailor's chalk which is slowly disappearing on its own. 

I first stitched in the ditch around the rectangles in the arches in order to practice the hand stitching and making even stitch lengths.   Then I used a stencil with hearts to mark and stitch each of the squares where the melons meet.  Then I stitched the centers. And now...

I'm stitching inside the melons about 1/4 inch from the seam line. I probably should mark the stitching line but I haven't and I'm almost finished with stitching all those centers.   I think I have about 4-5 left which I hope to finish some time today, Slow Stitching Sunday.    And then I will try to figure out what to stitch in the four corners.   And then I will try to find where I put the rest of the background fabric so I can make binding.  And then, next Slow Stitching Sunday, you may see me stitching on binding! 

Are you doing any hand work today?  If so, join our virtual Slow Stitching Sunday sewing bee. 

14 comments:

joe tulips said...

Amazing wonderful colorful quilt!!
And so special!!!

Created by Kathi said...

Loving your quilt! Keep up the awesome stitching! Kathi

Quilter Kathy said...

This looks so yummy! Such happy fabrics and the quilting is amazing! Enjoy your slow stitches today!

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Perfect quilt for SPRING stitching and it's coming along so nicely...you are making so much progress ! Lucky, lucky granddaughter :)

Wehago designs said...

This is a beautiful quilt, I just love the colours and the quilting, just gorgeous and I am sure it will be cherished

Julierose said...

Absolutely stunning quilt--I especially love that pale yellow-flowered background fabric you used--beautiful! hugs, Julierose

Terri said...

Luscious colors! Can't wait to see it all at once.
Hugs

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your quilting is really making a great quilt even greater. I love the story behind this quilt. Such a lucky granddaughter.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

The quilt itself is gorgeous ... the quilting brings it to life ... and the story behind it is precious. Funny I see this today as I just got to thinking that when I finish up my WIPs and the 3 more quilts that I've already promised to my daughter and grandsons, I'd like to start on DWR for all 4 of my grands for their weddings ... since I hand quilt exclusively, I can't afford to wait until they announce their wedding dates. ;-) I hope mine turns out as lovely as yours is.

The Quilting Elf said...

That quilt is sure to be cherished. You are a very special Grandma!
Kathy T. in Tampa

Jill said...

Very pretty double wedding ring. Colorful. Your stitching is very nice.

Quiltdivajulie said...

This is simply spectacular - for every reason I can think of ...

Pumlans flitiga fingrar said...

What à lovely ting to do for your granddaughter. I bet she Will love and cherish the quilt for ever!

Carol E. said...

Cathy, I scrolled through your blog and was in heaven. I LOVE your work and your style.. scrappy heaven. WTG! (Did I send that small boy quilt to finish.. first to BrendaLou and then to you? It was someone in Iowa...)