Sunday, September 7, 2014

Big Stitching Baskets

I'm big stitching my basket quilt in navy perle #8 with a #4 (I think) embroidery needle. 

I finished the pillowcases I was working on to go with the Double Wedding Ring quilt for my granddaughter's hope chest. 

First of all, I didn't notice when I cut the band for embroidery that is was a lighter yellow Kona than what I had bought for the body of the pillowcase. Oh, well, I went ahead with my plan and finished assembly in two tones. 

Second of all, the transfers I used had a vine beneath HIS and nothing beneath HERS. HERS is in bigger lettering and vine didn't fit in same space.   I fixed that.  I added a crocheted edging to HERS.  I just happened to have some purple crochet thread on hand.  Might as well use it up. 

Slow Stitching? 

11 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

Thanks for linking up at Kathy's .. I love your hope chest additions and your big stitch quilting looks great! Thanks for sharing... love the quilt you used in the background of your pillowcases too! You do excellent artwork for sure :) Kathi

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Beautiful stitching and projects...I'd have never noticed about the yellow shades if you hadn't mentioned it! :)

Julierose said...

Loving that dbl Wedding Ring--and your pillowcases are lovely! hugs, Julierose p.s. I am washing fabrics: orientals today---and it goes on and on....

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I never had a grandmother as my parent immigrated from Europe after WW2. I sure wish I had had a grandmother like you! I was fortunate enough to share my husband's grandmother for a few years. Oh that slow stitching adds so much to each of your projects. Love the crocheted edge on the Her's. Great solution!

Lisa J. said...

Very nice big stitching on the colourful baskets and I like the different coloured bands on the pillow cases.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Mt favorite hand quilting is with perle cotton #8. It looks terrific on your basket blocks.

Karen said...

How nice that you are making things for a grand-daughter's hope chest. Is there an actual chest. Don't hear much about them any more.

CathieJ said...

You have done some beautiful handwork. I like what you did to personalize those pillowcases.

Deb A said...

Good solution on the pillowcases. Pretty big stitches you are making.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have some embroidered pillowcases with crocheted borders that my grandmother made for me. I treasure them as your grand-daughter will treasure the ones you have made for her.

Angie said...

That Pickle Dish or DWR quilt is GORgeous!!