Friday, January 6, 2017

A Donation Quilt: St. Louis Sixteen Patch

St Louis Sixteen Patch
40 x 60
Machine Quilted

This will be donated to Quilts Beyond Borders


This started as a fat quarter challenge. The fat quarter I received was the deep red floral in this block. 

I combined the fq with some of my other scraps and made 10 inch sixteen patch blocks.


I pieced together some batting scraps with zig zag stitches, found a backing and quilted it on my DSM on the diagonal. 


I'm not good at binding a quilt on a sewing machine and I don't like the look but "Quilts for our kids in 3rd world countries need to be strong and durable enough to withstand the frequent washboard washings."

As soon as I find a box I'll get it in the mail. 


Goal Accomplished! And I'll be linking my OMG finish up at the end of the month at


15 comments:

Terry said...

Hi.I'm a new follower on Bloglovin. A nice quilt with a nice destination. Our quilt guild is making small and lap size quilts to give to the local police and fire dept.'s to give to children that are hurt or whose homes have caught fire. It is nice to give to something worthy.

gayle said...

(Psst... You've gotten 'One Monthly Goal' and 'One Weekly Goal' confused again... 'Monthly' is the longer one...)
That quilt looks like it's full of hugs - perfect for its destination!

Karen said...

great quilt - I'm making my second donation quilt for this year but don't know where I will be donating to at this point

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

Love your scrap quilt. Good things come from giving

Louise said...

It looks great! I'd say you did a fine job of making that red fabric work as a jumping off point for the entire quilt :) What size are the little squares in each 16 patch?

---"Love" said...

That turned out really pretty! Someone somewhere is going to love it! ---"Love"

Cherie in St Louis said...

Sweet!! Your 16 patch is bright and happy :) I totally agree with you about machine stitching binding....but it is sturdier.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Congrats on your finish--what a wonderful donation!

Sharon - IN said...

That is a great charity quilt! Machine stitching binding is now my new favorite way to finish a quilt - quick and sturdy.

Patty said...

Wonderful quilt! Congrats on your finish and thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal.

Anita Jackson @ Domestic Felicity said...

What a lovely gift! Congratulations on a wonderful finish! 16-patch are fun to do! I am currently working on one and setting the patches on point! Fun Fun!

Karen's Korner said...

Another gorgeous scrappy has been created.

Edith said...

I really like this quilt, congratulations on your finish.

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on achieving your January OMG. It is very kind of you to donate the lovely quilt. I agree with you on machine stitching the binding but sometimes it has to be done.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh it turned out great! I love that pattern so much, and your colors are just awesome for it!