Sunday, December 30, 2012

Heartstrings Sew Along - A Finish

Heartstrings Quilt Project is having a New Year's Weekend Sew Along - make Heartstring quilts with purple centers. I don't have much purple in my stash and the strings I do have in purple I'm saving for an adult sized quilt to make and send to the Hospice where my mother died. During my mom's stay in hospice she kept remarking how she loved the purple quilts that covered her.   

I did manage to find enough purple polka dot fabric in my stash to use for centers and a small border.   I didn't have many long strings left either since I've used most of them on other Heartstring blocks (green centers and gray centers). So, for the rest of the weekend I will try to finish those two even tho' they don't have purple centers. 

 As you can see, I used a variety of different strings to make the quilt. Now I'm down to small scraps so won't be making anymore string quilts like this for a while. This quilt is going to Wrap- A -Smile.   Size of quilt is 40x56.


I free motion quilted spirals on my plain old sewing machine.  The backing is a purple stripe. And now biggest pieces of purple are gone.

3 comments:

Arlene Delloro said...

Love your string quilt. I just did a very small one to use as a pieced background for some beading. I hope to use up some 30's repo fabric and make a bed-sized one this year.

Cathy said...

I love string quilts! This one is so bright and happy, that I must move it up on my to-do list. You amaze me with how much you get accomplished, Cathy. Have a wonderful New Year.

Pattilou said...

Your string quilt is wonderful and the quilting is so fun to go with it! Congrats on getting your purple strings into a quilt so fast!