Sunday, January 20, 2013

What Was I Thinking??? (Or Was I)???


What was I thinking when I decided to hand quilt my queen-sized snowball and 9 patch quilt? This is my first quilt to hand quilt with regular thread. I've quilted a couple of lap quilts with perle cotton working up to this but I must have been nuts to tackle this quilt. But there it is....I'm still trying to get used to wearing a thimble over the callous I have from not wearing a thimble. I have an entire baggie of different types of thimbles and can't decide which one I like well enough to use. 

At any rate...I have all the 9 patches quilted through with an X and now it's time to work on the snowballs with some sort of design. I have a template only now I need to find a pen that will make marks I can actually see. 

I'm glad my house is cold. If it was summer I don't think I could bear to have this giant quilt on my lap. 




I tried to show some pictures with contrast. Stitching is done in purple thread. I might finally be getting the hang of this. My stitches are smaller now than when I first began. 

Can't decide on a name for it yet. All the snowballs contain fabric with birds on them.  I might just call it "The Birds" or "A Bird in the Hand and a Few in the Bush" or "Bird Brains" (oh, wait, that's me).   I guess I will have to wait until I put the label on to know for sure. 

While hopping around on blogs which I don't do very often I cam across Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts so thought I would link up with other Slow Sunday Stitchers there and see what else everyone is working on sloooowly. 


4 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Don't get disappointed, hand quilting a bed size quilt is quite the project but stay focused on the process and work on it daily even if its only for a little bit and before you know it it will be complete. I only quilt in the fall and winter also, way to warm where I live to be under a quilt in the summer.

Deb A said...

You are doing great! I am just starting hand quilting this past year and started with 12 inch blocks that I will attempt to put together after they are all quilted. It is so rewarding to see stitches getting smaller and more even. Keep up the great work. Oh - I am very unconventional and don't use a thimble. I guess I don't quilt enough at a time to really hurt the fingers too much. Just 15-30 minutes a day if I am lucky.

Quilter Kathy said...

Winter is the perfect time to hand quilt...so glad you found the link up...thanks for joining us! Each quilted line will be more fun than the one before it!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great hand quilting project. You have some very nice fabrics you will get to enjoy again while hand quilting.