Monday, June 22, 2015

To Border or Not to Border. That is the Question.


I finished my Sister's Choice in Civil War reproductions top...or have I ?????


The blocks are 10 inches so as you can see..my top is now 60 x 80. 



But the more I looked at it the more I heard little voices calling...border, border, border.   I'm not a border person so either those little voices in my head are turning against me or trying to teach me new tricks.  BUT, I thought I read somewhere that civil war quilts were rarely bordered.  Or did I just imagine I read that? 

Anyway...should I add a border? If so what should it look like? I have an idea but not sure I actually like it enough (or am ambitious enough) to make it. 

Obviously I don't have a design wall.  I just randomly sewed blocks together. I don't think design walls were a thing back in the civil war days so I guess I'm really reproducing with my reproductions. 

for those who may or may not have design walls. 

August update:
To get this finished (borders or not) is my August goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes!

17 comments:

sophie said...

I usually add borders of some kind, but I like this one just as it is. Can't wait to see what YOU decide to do with it.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

You are correct they are often without borders. I say no border I love it the way it is.

Sewing Junkie said...

If you are questioning it maybe you answered yourself that maybe you shouldn't. Lay it on the bed with border fabric pinned to it and see if you like it. somethings just need to be finished and no borders. Chris

Tricia said...

I so rarely put borders on my quilt 'cause I get horribly lazy by the end and just want my quilts tops DONE! That said, I can totally see this lovely quilt top with a 4-patch border...

Marianne said...

I vote no border. It looks great as is.

FabricandFlowers said...

I'm voting no borders also. I love it!

gayle said...

I'm old school so I always think quilts need borders. (To me, borderless quilts look unfinished. Just naked and forlorn and abandoned. Like orphan puppies. Big-eyed orphan puppies. In the rain.)
I'd put some kind of frame on it, even if it's just a plain dark 4-6" border.
But don't mind me. I'm ancient.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like it the way it is - and it is a perfect size right now ;-)

Ramona said...

A "no border" vote from me, too. This is a beautiful quilt.

diane said...

Being a no border person, I'll say "no border". I just like the look. Listening to your gut feeling is okay too.

Chantal Thibodeau said...

If that can help you, I just finished a Civil war quilt. The pattern didn't have a border. But I finally add one. Good luck with your choice. http://courtepointemoi.blogspot.ca/2015/06/40-ans-de-mon-frere-my-brothers-40th.html

Cascade Quilts said...

I like it w/o a border, but it's not big enough in my opinion :) I would personally probably use a 3-strip border (like cream/red/cream) and then do a 9 patch (with red corners and center) in the corner to tie them together.

audrey said...

Love your quilt top! The colors are so vintage looking they just make me want curl up with your quilt.:) I'd probably add a pieced border because that's the way my brain works, but I am very curious to see what you end up with!

Vic in NH said...

I love it! I do agree that it could be a little bigger which is a nice reason to add a frame. Just on looks, it is great as it is! What do you wanna do?

Janet said...

I love it! I reproduce with my reproductions without a design wall too :0) I'd audition a fairly narrow red border I think - or maybe just red binding. Anyway you decide this will be a lovely quilt!

Wonky Girl said...

Not a complicated border but yes, I think it needs a frame. A cream TOT then a solid and another cream with a dark binding. JMHO Stew on it for a while, don't rush your decision.

joe tulips said...

One of my older quilts was hanging in there, except for the binding. It was falling apart, all frayed. Because the quilt had a border, it made it easy to cut off the old binding and replace it. Gave the quilt new life for a few more years I think. But that doesn't mean I always add a border to every quilt. I could go either way with this one. What did you end up doing?