Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Circle Game


And the seasons they go round and round 

And the painted ponies go up and down 
We're captive on the carousel of time 
We can't return we can only look 
Behind from where we came 
And go round and round and round 
In the circle game  - Joni Mitchell


Audrey of the blog Quilty Folk had a brilliant idea to applique a circle a day for a year that  she called Quilty 365.      I decided to play along starting on Nov 4. I had been thinking of making some type of journal quilt so decided to choose my fabrics based on some highlight of the day. I also add a little handwriting describing the highlight.  Reminds me of the old Joni Mitchell song Circle Game so I'm calling my quilt Circle Game.

I'm showing my circles Nov 4 - Nov 29.   I have fabrics chosen for Nov 30 and today but don't have those circles cut yet. (It's been a long couple of days at work).

And, in case you are curious about some of those highlights -
In health news I found out lumps in my breast were cysts, my granddaughter needs to carry epi-pen since she had a severe allergic reaction to fresh pineapple and my health insurance premium will go up 127 % next year...Affordable Health Care, my ass.In other news,  I experienced an awesome sunrise, saw Venus every morning on my way to work and we had a record 9.9 inches of snow.  I finished a book, celebrated 29 years on the job, thought I heard a mouse under my bed, bought a new laptop with Windows 10 to replace my antique Windows XP.  Gas was 1.99 a gallon, we ate the last of our fresh tomatoes and I started a Peacock quilt.  Can't wait to see what December brings...one day at a time. 

Join in if you haven't already.  There are so many awesome interpretations of Quilty 365 out there. Don't believe me? Then you need to check out the Quilty 365 linky party.  I'm hopefully going to visit all the links this weekend.




20 comments:

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

oh my this post was a blast :) So much fun to see where everyone is with this!

audrey said...

Thanks for the highlights! You're making this so very real. I'm just loving your circle game.:)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your circles

Julierose said...

Love the split backgrounds on your circles--really neat...hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Love the song, love your circles!

scraphappy said...

Quite a month! Your circle tell such a story.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a fun idea! Love your circles.

Angie said...

All your circles look amazing - I like the HST as background! Journaling on the blocks is also a great idea. I have been making mini notes in the seam allowance on some of mine, as well as keeping a notebook for more detailed thoughts. One of my favorite JM songs - it will be in my head whenever I'm stitching circles now - can't believe it didn't pop in my head before this!

Debra said...

I worked on a similar project in 2013 making one appliqued heart block a day. I loved every heart I made! When I look at that quilt now I see special fabrics from certain days during the year. Enjoy you circles!

Ann said...

I love how you tied this to Joni Mitchell. I've been trying to capture daily highlights, too.

Maryse said...

Haha, This is great! Love your circles, very creative too. I look forward to seeing how this will progress. :-)

The Quilted Finish said...

Love The HST backgrounds on your circles and love the journal idea! Such a great post. I've been a huge Joni Mitchell fan for most of my life but particularly from the age of 11/12 onwards....Circle Game is a great name for this quilt!

Doris said...

Love all these different patterns.

Gisele said...

Super fun circles & I love your HST backgounds......very original :)

Kaja said...

These look great and I still love that you are writing on them, so it really is a journal quilt. Isn't this a fun thing to be doing?

Stephie said...

I can't believe you've been doing so much - and with so much to celebrate too! But pineapple, who knew?!?! Your circles look wonderful and they're going to be filled with so much love and memories.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I like that you are doing your circles on HST's--lookin" good!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love your approach (HSTs behind the circles) and your summary of the month creates a great record. Love the lyrics you included. Sending hugs.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I love the journal idea! I keep a daily journal but never thought about incorporating it here. I also like the half square triangle background. And thanks for putting that song into my head - I am now stuck with it until another comes along. At least it is a good song!

Lara B. said...

That is the perfect name for your very unique and wonderful take of the Quilty365. I love those lyrics and i love your circles!
Cathy, I've never seen anyone be able to condense down a month of newsy moments like that. Whew! Lots of good things in there. So glad you did not have breast cancer and I hope your granddaughter will not have anymore scary allergic reactions. And that the mouse under your bed moves shop.