Thursday, June 8, 2017

Gardening Breaks


All God's Creatures Great and Small
A hexagon quilt in the making. 

I've found that hexies are a good thing to pick up, stitch a little and put back down on breaks from gardening.  I try to prep a few each day so they are available for stitching when I feel the urge for a break. 


I didn't think I'd ever make another hexie quilt but here I am stitching away. Never say never.  After I finished making a circle a day for the Quilty 365 quilt I felt I needed something else to make every day so I dug into my critter fabrics and All God's Creatures Great and Small was born. 


Rainbow of Favorite Things
2013

I still have templates from when I made this hexie quilt started in 2011 and finished in 2013.  I think I need to make a few new templates. I used triangle graph paper printed from Incompetech to make my templates. This time I might try a few new configurations.  My Rainbow of Fav Things started out as a Hexalong with Lily's Quilts and I see the links she posted with information on making hexies is still there if you want to make one yourself. 

As you can see...I take a lot of gardening breaks! 

11 comments:

Linda said...

Love the idea of stitching hexies at odd moments. Never made a hexie but perhaps I could be persuaded?

Julierose said...

Love your Favorite things quilt. I like the idea of doing hexies now and then..although (as usual) i tend to be very intense and just "go for it"..
I am trying to follow my hubster's little note "Julie, ease off".
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I find that too - it is so easy to baste some hexies or put a couple pieces together in between working in the garden or house work - or just put a book down for 5 minutes and take a few stitches!

margaret said...

hexies are such a relaxing form of stitching well when all the papers and fabric are cut. Wonder what size your hexies are. What a beauty your favourites is

---"Love" said...

Both those collections of hexies are so special! I don't think I have the patience for hexies, but I do enjoy seeing yours. ---"Love"

Ann said...

How nice to have breaks ready to go. Love the cute fabrics you're using.

Kate said...

Very fun hexies. Sounds like a great way to rest between the "have to do" stuff.

Angie said...

Great hexies so far! I love the kittens peering into the goldfish bowl - the fabric reminds me of illustrations from Little Golden Books. My hexie patterns only include diamonds and the full hexie shape. I'll have to see if I can draft an appropriate set of triangles using Incompetech.

Kaja said...

I've also never tried this, but love the All Creatures Great and Small idea, and the way your hexies have different configurations - in my gardening breaks I just drink tea and feel virtuous!

Deb said...

Love your Rainbow Hexies quilt, the new hexies are a great start

Quilter Kathy said...

The Rainbow Hexie quilt is spectacular... I love it!